The barbell curl is the mother of all bicep exercises and by far the biggest bicep mass builder. it helps build shirt-popping biceps and allows heavier loading than many other curl variations. it is an isolation exercise that helps to build muscle and strength as well.if there’s a one bicep exercise that you decide to master it should be barbell curl, since you get to use
It is a very effective movement which has been used for decades to build bigger arms, for many bodybuilders and fitness enthusiast barbell curl is their first choice for bicep exercises.
Anyone can perform a barbell curl exercise but it is recommended to start light and learn the proper form before going for the heavier load.
Bicep Muscle Anatomy
the bicep is the one-third portion of your total arm size, and as the name reflects bi-cep. bi stands for 2 so there are two major muscles in your biceps namely BICEPS BRACHII AND BICEPS BRACHIALIS.
Biceps brachii has a further two 2 major muscles- short head and long head and it is known as the biarticular muscle because it extends across two joints the shoulder joint and the elbow joint.
in terms of its action biceps brachii performs flexion of our elbow and it’s also a very powerful supinator of the forearm
the short head is the inner part of your biceps and long is the front part of your bicep. and then there’s Bicep brachialis which is the outer part of your bicep.
How To Perform Perfect Barbell Curl
- Start by loading up the bar then stand in front of the bar and grab the bar a little wider than shoulder-width apart.
- stand tight, keep you back straight and shoulder back and chest as high as u can.
- Now curl the barbell in towards your chest while keeping your elbows tight to your ribs and fixed in one position to avoid shoulder engagement during the movement. so the entire load comes to your biceps.
- After bringing the bar all the way up don’t forget to squeeze the bicep at the top. then slowly lower the bar down ( it should be slow because that’s where you real your muscles ) and stretch the bicep at the bottom.
- Repeat the recommended amount of repetitions.
- Not holding the bar equally from both sides.
- Trying to do the exercise very fast and neglecting the contraction.
- Engaging shoulder while performing the exercise.
- ego lifting.
- Arching the back.
- Not making mid to muscle connection.
Benefits Of Barbell Curl
There are several benefits of barbell curl when you perform it correctly-
- It helps you build mass on your arms.
- Strengthen your grip.
- make you stronger.
- Prevent you from injuries.
- helps build endurance.
- The exercise also helps to build brachioradialis muscle which is your forearm muscle.