The flat bench press is an upper-body workout that targets your chest muscle. it is a compound exercise which means it does not only targets your chest muscle but some other body parts as well i.e. triceps, shoulder anterior.
The bench press is the number one preference of so many bodybuilders for the bigger and stronger chest. The best thing about the flat bench press is that it works on the entire chest including lower and upper pecs.
In science words, the chest muscles are called the pectoral muscles. and the pectoral muscle is consists of the pectoralis major and the pectoralis minor which are the fan-shaped muscle of the shoulder. they shape the anatomy of the breast.
The pectoralis minor lies under the pectoralis major and both forms the anterior wall of the axilla where they can be palpated.
The pectoralis major muscle is the most important muscle for the adduction and anteversion of the shoulder joint, which is why it is also known as the breaststroke muscle. it rotates the upper arm outwards and makes a powerful stroke movement called retroversion says this research
The pectoralis minor has two major functions, on one hand, it pulls the scapula anteriorly and inferiorly toward the ribs, known as abduction and depression respectively. this leads to the dorsomedial movement of the inferior angle of the scapula. On the other hand, the pectoralis minor elevates the third to the fifth ribs, given a fixed scapula and expands the ribcage according to this research
How To Perform Flat Bench Press
here’s how to perform flat bench press-
1. lay down on the bench press table on your back and grab the bar slightly wider than your shoulder width, making sure your forearms are in a vertical line, keep your hips firmly placed on the bench with a slight arch on your lower back.
2. Keep your feet flat on the ground and lift the bar up with full strength and lock your shoulders downwards, now slowly lower the bar until 3 inches to your chest.and make sure to create an eccentric force while lowering down the weight.
3. Now push the bar up with full power keeping your torso and legs tight and squeeze your pecs when the bar reaches the top.
What muscle do flat bench press work?
The flat bench press specifically targets your pectoralis major and pectoralis minor of your chest muscle, apart from this exercise also works on your triceps long head, anterior shoulder, and forearms.
These are some common mistakes that you need to avoid while performing this exercise-
- Do not arch your back too much and lift your hip off the bench.
- Do not keep your elbows flared out wide forcing your shoulders upwards.
- Do not grab the bar with a suicide grip if the bar rolls off your palms it could cause serious injuries.
- Do not lift heavy weight unassisted, always use a spotter when lifting heavyweight.
Benefits Of Flat Bench Press
- Strengthen your upper body.
- Helps target your both pecs major as well as minor pecs.
- Targets your anterior shoulder.
- It helps in building muscle and lose fat.
- Finally, give width to your body.