When it comes to forming an impressive physique, lat should be your primary focus. Nicely developed lats create the hot look after and muscular looking V-taper for men. Pulldown is an excellent exercise if you want to work on your back muscles.
The beauty of this exercise is that you can’t cheat on this exercise. The lat pulldowns are as good as pull-ups, because of both the workout targets the similar muscle group of your back, i.e. latissimus dorsi muscle (lats).
The main benefit of Lat Pulldown is that when you perform it properly, you can build a heck of a lot of muscles at your back.
The main focus should always be on your back and never the arms. If you are finding in pulling with your arms then more than likely the weight is too heavy.
At the time of pulling the focus should be on bringing the elbows down to press into the ribs. Do a slight arch in your back, and your head should face forward with your eyes looking straight ahead. Some people look up and follow the path of the bar with their eyes. This can cause unnecessary strain on the neck, and you should avoid it.
Some people may argue that it seems to be mainly the same movement, but, the big difference is that it is an exercise that moves your body through space, opposed to moving some object through space.
The lat pulldown is useful for a warm-up and for the ability to do drop sets with your pull/ chin-ups.
The study has found that Medium grip lat pulldown has significantly more advantages than the wide grip and narrow grip.
Anatomy Of Back Muscle
Steps to perform this exercise
- Latch on to the bar with a wide grip with an overhand, knuckles up grip. You can also do it with some other positions and clamps, but this is the standard position for beginners.
- Pull the bar down until it’s precisely in level with your chin. Exhale on the downward motion. While shifting be a little backward, aim to keep your upper torso unmoving. Keep your feets flat on the ground and then engage your abs as you pull. The support of the motion should be where your elbows can’t even move downward without moving backward. Stop at that point positively and do not go much lower.
- Squeeze your elbow blades together while maintaining a square elbow.
- From the bottom position of the bar close to your chin, slowly return the bar to the starting position while controlling its gradual ascent. Don’t try to let it crash into the weight plates.
- Continue until you complete eight to ten repetitions in a set. Then do one-minute rest, then continue to complete your program of sets.
People face a few problems at the time of doing this exercise which should need to get avoided, because many people encounter problems, and not avoiding them may lead to many issues related to their body.
- Many people have problems in their back and shoulders still they prefer to do this exercise which is completely wrong and can be even more problematic for them. They can admire some other exercises.
- Forming an improper posture and adding unnecessary weights during exercise leads to major body issues.
- Using wrong handles is also a problem; people should use wide grip bars.
Best Tips to do Lat Pulldown
The best tip to ensure you stimulate your lats better than before.
Grip the pulldown bar without using your thumbs. Do the same when you do pull-ups as well. You would be amazed by the burn you feel in your back and lat muscles.
During these two exercises, stop using your thumb and place it behind the bar. You would be amazed by this. Employ a grip similar to what you see below, but a lot more reliable.
Not using your thumbs will enable you to recruit less of your biceps and more of your lats. Also, don’t do behind the neck lat pulldowns okay.
Lat Pull-Down Variations For an impressive physique
1.Single-Arm Lat Pulldown
Nothing can beat this exercise when it comes to feeling the mind-muscle connection and even at maximizing the squeezes at the bottom of the lift. This exercise can help you to maximize the weight you can lift. It also makes excellent use of your time.
2.Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown
If you want to increase the width of your back and your overall strength as well, then variation is fruitful. Wide-Grip Pulldown will help you with allowing you to work your lats with good form through the entire range of motion, and it will also help you to pull-up your strength.
3.Behind-The-Neck Lat Pulldown
Many people believe that this variation places too much stress and strain on their bodies. While this may be due to lack of their shoulder flexibility, many people can comfortably incorporate this movement pattern into their workout without pain and are able to take full advantage of the benefits it offers.
You can’t underestimate this variation of lat pulldown. This variation can help you in improving the center of your back, while still targeting your lats. V-Bar Pull-Down can also help you in widening your shoulders, and strengthening them as well.
5.Reverse Close-Grip Lat Pulldown
This variation is also known as the reverse close-grip lat pulldown. This exercise targets your lower lats, and it is mimick of chin-ups, so it helps you in activating your biceps.
Some better strategies at the of starting this exercise
If you can’t do any what so ever, some useful strategies are:
- Just hang from the bar. Try hanging for 1 min!
- Try doing negatives! Put a chair or any other stand under the pull-up bar, use your feet to push your body to the pull up top position.
- Hold the grip for a couple of seconds then lower yourself slowly and controlled.
- Repeat until you can do one or more.
- Jumping pull-ups. Similar to the previous, here you climb to the top position, hold, and then lower yourself.
- You can start by doing bodyweight rows first! Once healthier, pull-ups will be somewhat easier.
Some Key Points
- Always use the full range of motion to handle all aspects of your muscles.
- Control the weight, pick a reasonable weight, focus on form heavyweights after.
- Have good posture, and do not lean back or forward too much.
- Do not pull the bar behind the back.
- Use a weight you can use with the correct form.
Myths of Lat Pulldown
Many people have myths related to exercise and should be clear with the facts, not myths. Some common myths are:
- You can get abs by doing this exercise. This is the biggest myth that is believed by many people.
- This exercise is similar to pull/ chin-ups. This statement is a big false statement.
- The dumbbell row is a good lat builder.
- The lats Are “Wings” Outside the Shoulder Blades
- The dumbbell pullover is the best lat exercise, which is a myth we know that it is known to be a good exercise for ages, but now many implements in this exercise are proved more useful.