Upper Body Dumbbell Workout Routine
Exercising is one of the most convenient methods to have a healthy lifestyle and a toned body. Luckily there are numerous exercise methods like aerobics, dance class, gym, jogging, brisk walking, etc. to have a disease-free life as we all know that exercising increases our immunity.
The key to achieving a toned body with exercising is regularity and to attain regularity there are two very convenient methods.
First, keep a record of your exercise schedule and second find a partner who not only gives you a company but helps you to attain your desired goal together.
According, to the British Heart Foundation, exercising helps you to produce more heat in your muscles which results in the pumping of the heart at a faster rate and pumps more blood to the muscles involved in exercising.
Our heart is also a muscle and regular exercise makes it stronger and slightly increases its size, which helps to inhale more oxygen through the lungs.
After receiving an ample amount of oxygen from the lungs the blood vessels pump the blood to the muscles which are being used and provide them with the extra oxygen required by it.
The regularity of this procedure increases the number of capillaries in your body and over time you feel easy to exercise. Regular exercise can lower down heart disease rate by 35%.
Regular exercise results in microscopic damage to your muscles and body release cytokines, inflammatory molecules, which activate the immune system to repair the damage caused to the muscle.
This body activity results in a cyclic activity of damage and repair which eventually results in making the muscles bigger and stronger.
Why Should You Prefer Dumbbell?
In a letter written to his son by Benjamin Franklin, he said, “I live temperately, drink no wine, and use daily the exercise of the dumbbell.” Dumbbell not only creates complete hypertrophy for your muscles but also helps to increase their strength
Dumbbell helps to create an ideal workout. Here are a few reasons why you should prefer dumbbell.
1.Stabilization and activation
To freely move your dumbbell your muscle fibers need more strength to create stabilization which makes your biceps work away harder.
2.Overcome strength imbalances
If one side of your body is weaker than the other than it will create an imbalance that can be overcome using a dumbbell. Your arms are forced to work unilaterally using a dumbbell.
You can easily lift and drop the dumbbell, take rest, and start your next without damaging yourself or anyone else.
Certain techniques like rest-pause,mechanical-advantage drop set or the rack-and-run technique are privileged to dumbbell which helps you to achieve your desired toned body.
5.Escalate motion speed
A dumbbell can easily escalate the motion speed and help to add a new dimension to your go-to mass movement which helps in the muscle-building process.
6.Freedom of movement
while using dumbbell you can easily alter your movements and move your shoulders freely. You can easily rotate your shoulders inside or outside and target your specific muscles, which results in fewer chances of injury to muscles.
7 Sprain prevention
As dumbbell provides a huge range of exercise which can be easily done through any degree of movement so the chances of a sprain are highly reduced. create an imbalance that can be overcome using a dumbbell. Your arms are forced to work unilaterally using a dumbbell.
So, the above-stated reasons must be enough to justify the statement dumbbells are the most convenient and easy training tools. You can easily workout at home by using an adjustable table and a set of dumbbells.
Before starting exercise dumbbell or any kind of physical activity the first and foremost requirement is Warm-UP.
Now the question arises
Why Is Warmup Important?
1. The first reason is that it provides oxygen to the muscles and increased body temperature decreases the chance of muscle injury.
2. Secondly, it increases the elasticity of the muscles and thereby increases the power of the muscles. The third and most important reason is it prepares the cardiovascular system to provide oxygen and glucose to the muscles for exercise.
Workout For Men And Women
The first and foremost question arises is the workout routine the same for both the sexes same and the answer is NO, the reason behind is that men have slightly bigger bones than women.
Even the men have 30% more muscles in the upper region than women, the reason behind the female body is designed to carry an infant and deliver it safely which is irrelevant too upper body parts.
Another reason is low testosterone count in the female body which does not allow females to naturally have lower body strength than men.
Many females are afraid of lifting dumbbells as they have a common notion that if they do so they will bulk up like men, but on the contrary, many sports scientists believe that this notion is not true as females do not consume high amounts of calories or intake quality proteins.
If they exercise using dumbbells it will help them in strength training and help them to attain a toned body which is made up of muscle with a moderate amount of fat. Both men and women can also build pelvic floor strength with exercises you can do at home on your own using dumbbells.
How Important Is Posture?
As it is seen back problem is quite common in women, the reason behind the pelvis shape which is over -arch in women and due to lumbar lordosis a condition found in women in which the pelvis is tilted too forward. This problem can be easily solved with correct posture during exercise.
Other than you should add hip extension exercise in your exercise regime as it makes the core more strong and brings the pelvis in a neutral position.
Apart from this correct posture is required for saving the body from a muscle injury or neck pain which in return cause headaches. Dumbbells allow free movement of shoulders with correct posture and cause less tension in muscle which protects the joints from tearing away as dumbbells create less pressure on them
Supersets are an adamantine way to train, but it helps you to achieve a body like Hercules with broader chest, protuberant biceps, gigantic triceps with a set of ABS, which of course is every man’s dream.
To achieve a body like Hercules a workout plan is made using supersets, were back to back pair of exercises are done to keep your muscles under tension for a longer duration of a period.
Dumbbell helps you to not only burn away your fat but also at the same time help to build up lean muscle.
30 Minutes Upper Body Dumbbell Workout-
A perfect exercise regime with a dumbbell is designed using various exercises in conjunction with each other. Let us have a brief look at how these exercises are done and what should be the precautions kept in mind while doing these exercises.
1.One-Arm Dumbbell Row
- You need a bench to perform this exercise, lean a little forward and place your hand and the same side knee on the bench.
- Keep the second foot on the floor for balance and using the dumbbell on the same side of the hand to move the weight towards your hip and at the same time keeping the elbow close.
- Keeping the elbow tight compress the shoulder blades to full extension. Repeat this technique 10-15 times.
- 3 Sets, 10-12 Reps,30sec Rest.
Key point-Don’t push the weight towards the shoulder but towards the hip which creates pressure on tough lower fat.
2.Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
- This is a multi-joint chest exercise that provides a great range of motion.
- Lie down on the bench for your face upright now hold a dumbbell in your every hand just outside the shoulder.
- Now bring the dumbbell towards your chest at just an inch apart and slowly bring them back to the original position.
- 3 Sets, 8-10 Reps,30 Sec Rest.
Key point– Don’t let the dumbbells touch at the top as your body will fully relax at that point and will not be able to create enough tension on muscles.
3.Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- The concentration of this exercise is only on the middle delt which makes your shoulder appear bigger and broader.
- Adjust the bench upright so you get support to your back now hold a dumbbell in your every hand and bring it above the shoulder with your palms facing outside.
- With full force take the dumbbell in upright in the form an arch but don’t let them touch. Now slowly bring the dumbbell down and repeat the steps.
- 3 Sets,8-10 Reps,30 Sec Rest.
Key-point-Bring the dumbbell down towards the floor so that more pressure is generated on the target muscle fiber and create more range of motion.
- Dumbbells are used to create an up-down motion which should be done smoothly.
- Stand straight and hold dumbbells in your every hand with both palms facing in.
- Keep your chest tight and shrug your shoulder straight up and hold for 2 seconds.
- Now lower the weights and return back to starting position.
- 4 Sets,15-20 Reps,30 Sec Rest.
Key-point-Don’t roll your shoulders as it will cause injury to muscles, keep the direction up-down only.
5.One-Arm Overhead Dumbbell Extension
- This exercise creates pressure on the longest muscle of the back arm, triceps, and helps in its shaping.
- Adjust the bench and sit straight on the bench.
- Now take the dumbbell in only your one hand bring it over your head.
- use only the elbow to create a movement of 90degree and bring the dumbbell at the back of your head.
- It will create pressure on your triceps and repeat the procedure of up and down movement of the elbow.
- Repeat the same exercise for the second arm.
- Perform 4 sets,15-20 Reps,30 Sec Rest.
Key-point-Make sure to move to the back of the head not on the head as it creates more pressure.
6.Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curls
- This exercise creates a rotatory motion exercise for palms, arms, and wrists.
- Stand straight with dumbbells in each hand-make your chest tight and curl the weight inside with movement around only in the elbow region.
- Squeeze the bicep hard at the top and bring it down.
- Repeat the same procedure with the second arm.
- Perform 4 sets,15-20 Reps,30 Sec Rest.
key-point-Don’t bring the elbow too high as it will not create desired pressure on muscles.
7.Dumbbell Wrist Curl
- Adjust the bench in an upright position and now take a dumbbell in your hand and put your arm on the upright bench.
- Adjust your hand so it does not slide on the bench, now bring the dumbbell in upward movement but make sure that the movement rotation is created only around the elbow.
- Now bring the arm downwards repeat the same exercise 15-20 times.
- shift the dumbbell to the other hand and repeat the same procedure.
- Perform 4 sets,15-20 Reps, 30 Sec Rest
Key-point-Make movement around the elbow and keep the shoulder tight to create maximum pressure on bicep muscle.
- Exercise is famous creating a superb effect on the rear shoulder and upper back.
- Take a dumbbell in each hand and hold it by facing the palms inward.
- Now bend your body around the hips making an angle of 135 degrees.
- Using the shoulder make an up-down movement like a flying bird and then bring them back down.
- Perform 4 sets,10 Reps,60 Sec Rest
Key-point– You should be avoiding the elbow movement while performing this exercise.
- Stand in an upright position.
- Hold the Dumbbell in your hands with palms facing inside, keeping the elbows tucked in.
- Now curl the weights such that biceps are squeezed at the top.
- Now bring them down again and repeat the procedure.
- Perform this Upper body Dumbbell workout for 4 Sets,10 Reps,60 Sec Rest.
Key-point-Adjust your wrist position so that your palm faces each other and adjust wrist position accordingly.
- Take a dumbbell in each hand and hold it by facing the palms inward.
- Now bend your body around the hips making an angle of 135degree.
- Raise the weight behind you until your arm is straight, then lower back to the start.
- Perform this Upper body Dumbbell workout with 4 Sets,10 Reps,60 Sec Rest.
Key-point-Fully stretches your muscles to make your triceps strong.
- Stand upright holding a dumbbell in both hands in front of your face.
- Raise it above your head and make 10 clockwise rotation over your head.
- Now make the rotation in 10 anticlockwise direction and lower down the dumbbell.
- Repeat the above exercise in 4 sets.
- 4 sets,10Reps, 30sec rest
Key-point- It makes the torso upright and straight.
Perform this Upper body dumbbell workout each day 30 minutes for 2 months and you will start seeing amazing results in your body, it will help you feel more energetic, more fresh and confident.